Friday, March 5, 2010

Thanks! I needed that.....

I was on my way to the SouthWest Art Center, off Cascade. It's a beautiful facility. The African-Americans for the Arts was having our first meeting of the year and I wanted to get there early. On the way I stopped at the Publix on Cascade to get an apple and some juice. Someone called my name, "Ms. Jeter". Looking up, it was one of my old students from Carver High School. He had a name tag on, Derrick. I gave him a quick hug. He was so glad to see me. He said that I had been on his mind, and expressed his appreciation for all the time, lessons and laughs we shared in class four years ago. That felt so good. He had a twinkle in his eye as he spoke and looked off, speaking of a particular lesson, and how it helped him then and now. "Art helped me see the world different, thank you....." Wow! That was nourishment to me, I needed to hear that. I've been in a slump, not connecting to many students because of this situation here are Crim, so serendipity helped me. I told him that I needed that, thanking him and encouraging him to keep art in his heart. He's a father now, with twin sons and a wife. I walked away from him with a renewed love for this profession of teaching art.

No comments:

Post a Comment